I have been a grad student for about two months now, and I have come across things that I knew would happen, as well as totally unexpected things that others assure me as completely normal. Here is how you tell..
1. You know most of the events that are happening in the department because of the free food that is provided.
2. You know that quesadillas make great 2am snacks when you are pulling an all-nighter to hand in an assignment.
3. You complain about how stupid undergraduates are, then realise the professors probably feel the same way about you.
4. You know enough about the subject to understand the speaker at seminars, but not enough to ask intelligent questions at the end.
5. You are high enough on the academic ladder to hang out with the professors outside of work, but low enough to feel weird about it.
6. You are never sure if you are considered a student or faculty.
7. You feel that PhD comics is an accurate representation of your life.
Until next time, Love, Me 🙂